If Everyday Were Sunday...

I would be very happy. But I would not get much sleep.

Friday, February 10

Drumroll...

It's so difficult to keep a blog with all the other things that happen throughout the week. I try to post twice a week at least, but it has been a busy one. Fortunately, it is Friday, and I got to skip my last two classes today to go to a MathCounts competition. Let me give you a bit of background information. My dad teaches middle school at the middle school where I went, and he is the MathCounts coach also. My brother is now in sixth grade at that same middle school, and he is a star Mathlete. (My brother is just all around a very talented person :) This is how MathCounts is described on mathcounts.org: "MATHCOUNTS® is a national math enrichment, coaching and competition program that promotes middle school mathematics achievement through grassroots involvement in every U.S. state and territory... After several months of coaching, participating schools select students to compete individually or as part of a team in one of the more than 500 written and oral competitions held nationwide and in U.S. schools overseas. Winners at the local level proceed to state competitions, where the top 4 Mathletes® and top coach earn the right to represent their state or territory at the national level." Last year I took seventh at the state level. Today was the school competition at my middle school, and I went to help out. It was highly enjoyable. I will have to look into volunteering at the local competition some time.

6 Comments:

  • At February 10, 2006 9:11 PM, Blogger Lauren Mayerle said…

    Oh Erika, I'm sure that those juniors and seniors who have nothing to do but talk about you at lunch would think of you as much less of a math-goddess if they ever found out that you only took seventh place! ;)

     
  • At February 10, 2006 11:10 PM, Blogger The Fri said…

    Hmm... where was it that you won first last year? Was it Math Bowl? I know you did something absolutely spectacular last year and it was really kewl. But it is true... you are a star mathlete... mwa ha ha ha... I was never quite that great at it... at least with coming up with a solution on the spur of the moment like that. I could never do that. You and Brena were always really amazing. I think Brena is doing Trig or pre-calc or something online this year but I can't remember exactly what it is she is doing. Well, this comment is running long so I must be going. Goodbye!

    ~Sarah~

     
  • At February 11, 2006 5:00 PM, Blogger Erika Anneliese said…

    Lauren, they probably would think even more of me if they knew I took seventh in the state :) Sarah, I was first in the regional competition, but I was also first in math bowl, yes. Ooh, I definitely sound braggy. Dang. I am sure Brena is going the same thing as I am-Precalc.

     
  • At February 11, 2006 7:06 PM, Blogger The Fri said…

    Yeah... I think she is doing pre-calc. lol... You don't sound braggy. You're actually really modest about your skills, which is good, because if you weren't everybody would be quite angry with you. lol. I covet them, I must admit. ;) Well, see ya!

    ~Sarah~

     
  • At February 17, 2006 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ERika,

    Your website is pretty amazing. I like to check it out every once in a while. I have it as a favorite at work.
    Love Ya.

    Boo

     
  • At February 19, 2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Lauren Mayerle said…

    I saw your dad's name in that article in the paper today about the competition.
    Congratulations to your brother!
    Yours truly,
    tvana
    (today's wv)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home